Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Benjamin Burkhard
- Landscape ecology (mapping and analysis of landscape structures, processes and functions)
- Ecosystem services (modeling, quantification, mapping)
- Human-environmental relations (indication, modelling, land use assessments)
- Coordinator EU Horizon 2020 joint project ESMERALDA (2015 - 2018)
- International Association for Landscape Ecology IALE (Vice President)
- Ecosystem Services Partnership ESP (Secretary)
- Ecosystem Services Partnership ESP - Lead of thematic working group "Mapping Ecosystem Services"
- Member of the EU Working Group Mapping and Assessment of Ecosystems and their Services MAES
- Member of the UN Expert Working Group for the revision of the System of Environmental-Economic Accounting - Experimental Ecosystem Accounting SEEA EEA
- Editor-in-Chief journal "One Ecosystem - Ecology and Sustainability Data Journal"
- Editorial Board member journals "Ecosystem Services" and "Sustainability"
- Guest editor journals "Ecological Complexity", "Ecological Indicators", "Ecosystem Services", "International Journal of Biodiversity Science, Ecosystem Services & Management", "Ecological Modelling", "Land", "Environmental Monitoring and Assessment"
- Reviewer for journals "Ecological Indicators", "Ecological Modelling", "Ecological Economics", "Ecological Engineering", "Ecosystem Services", "One Ecosystem", "Environmental Management", "Landscape Ecology", "Progress in Physical Geography", "Remote Sensing", "Journal of Environmental Planning and Management", "GAIA", "Conservation Biology", "Landscape Online", "Sustainability", "Human Ecology Review", "Biodiversity and Conservation", "Journal of Arid Environments", "African Journal of Agricultural Research", "Journal of Environmental Management", "Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment", "Mountain Research and Development", "International Journal of Biodiversity Science, Ecosystem Services & Management", "Land Degradation & Development"
- Scientific coordinator for the nature reserve „Schleimündung”
- since 2016 Full Professor for Physical Geography at Leibniz Universität Hannover
- since 2014 Visiting research fellow at Leibniz Centre for Agricultural Landscape Research (ZALF) Müncheberg
- 2001 - 2016 Scientific employee at the Institute for Natural Resource conservation at Kiel University
- 2010 Scientific employee at Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ) Halle
- 2008-2009 Guest scientist at the School of Earth and Environment, University of Adelaide/Australia
- 2007 Guest scientist at the University Salento Lecce/Italy
- 1999 - 2000 Civilian service in the nature reserve „Schleimündung”
- 2012 Habilitation and venia legendi in Geography; habiliation treatise topic:: "Dynamics, Resilience and Adaptability of Human-environmental Systems"
- 2004 PhD in Ecology; topic of dissertation: "Ecological Assessment of the Reindeer Husbandry System in Northern Finland"
- 2000 Diploma in Geography; topic of diploma thesis: "GIS-basierte Analyse der Brutvogelverteilung im Naturschutzgebiet Oehe-Schleimünde/Ostsee"
- 1996 Erasmus student at the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU) Uppsala
- 1993 – 1999 Studiies at Humboldt University Berlin: Geography, Geoinformatics, Cartography (FU Berlin), northern Europe studies
- 1990 - 1992 Carl-von-Ossietzky grammar school Berlin-Pankow
- 1980 - 1990 8. Polytechnical school Berlin-Pankow
- The Ecosystem Services Partnership (ESP; Executive Committee)
- International Association for Landscape Ecology (IALE; Executive Committee)
- Deutsche Gesellschaft für Geographie (DGfG, VGDH)
- Arbeitskreis Geographie der Meere und Küsten (AMK)
- Verein Jordsand zum Schutze der Seevögel und der Natur e.V.
- Verein zur Förderung der Ökosystemforschung Kiel e.V.
- Geographische Gesellschaft zu Hannover e.V.
- 1. FC Union Berlin
- 2018 Certificate of Excellence in Reviewing (Journal Ecosystem Services)
- 2013 Certificate of Excellence in Reviewing (Journal Ecological Indicators)
- 2010 Otto Science Trophy (University sailing cup CAU Kiel)
- 2008 Otto Science Trophy (University sailing cup CAU Kiel)
- 2006 Otto Science Trophy (University sailing cup CAU Kiel)
- 2006 IALE-D Graduate Award for the best landscape ecological dissertation
+ ResearchGate profile: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Benjamin_Burkhard